The Kelmarsh Estate

The Kelmarsh Hall Estate is a typical Midland agricultural landscape covering over 1,000ha (3,000 acres) made up of a mix of arable cropland with pasture, woodlands and parkland. Farm land is the largest land use type and is managed by tenant farmers.

An in-house team cares for the many small spinneys and coverts that dot the landscape, a reminder of the area’s foxhunting heritage. Good management of the woodland has gained its timber products a FSC (Forestry Stewardship Council) accreditation.

Much of the parkland lies above a deserted medieval village and as such is a Scheduled ancient monument. It is grazed by a herd of British White cattle, descendents of the herd established by the Lancaster family in 1903.

Biodiversity

The Estate contains numerous areas of high conservation value. All of the estate woodlands along with the park and wilderness lake are designated local wildlife sites and support many local Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) Species.
 
During ongoing bird surveys the woodlands were found to support many species noted as in decline, and as a result, significant habitat improvement works funded by the Forestry Commission are being undertaken to help prevent further decline.

The river Ise corridor is a particularly diverse habitat and a phase 1 habitat survey, as well as students from Moulton College, recorded signs of otter and water vole.
illustration