Another area of the historic gardens at Kelmarsh Hall is set to be restored to its former glory with work under way to rejuvenate the Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe-designed Philadelphus garden.
The garden, designed in 1951 under instruction from Nancy Lancaster, lies on the north slope beyond the West Terrace. Several large Philadelphus bushes remain on either side, along with three shallow grass steps with brick rises. Work has already started to enhance this area which is largely unexplored by visitors. Using Jellicoe’s original plans and the footprint of the garden for inspiration, restoration pruning and general tidying up will restore the view across the garden to the boathouse and lake. Spring bulbs and additional planting will be introduced to extend the season of this special area and ensure it complements the rest of the Grade II* listed gardens.
This latest project is an extension of the garden restoration work which has been going on for many years at Kelmarsh Hall to reinstate Nancy Lancaster’s original designs and ideas. The results can be seen in the historic walled kitchen garden, the intimate fan rose garden and the sunken garden, which was used for entertaining guests during the summer evenings.