Plans have been submitted to restore the derelict 18th century Orangery in the grounds of Kelmarsh Hall so it can be used by the public once again.
The Orangery was salvaged in 1954 by former Kelmarsh Hall owner Colonel CG Lancaster when Brixworth Hall was demolished. When it was located at Brixworth it was listed on English Heritage’s National Monuments Record in 1945 and the Orangery is now the only publicly accessible remnant from Brixworth Hall. Its restoration would provide a community space for local groups and organisations as well the perfect venue for a special celebration or small wedding.
Subject to planning permission, restoration work would get underway in early spring but the Kelmarsh Trust must raise the money to fund the complete works. Visitors to the Hall over the summer months have already made generous donations towards the project and fundraising efforts at the Christmas Fair raised a further £500. Raffle tickets are still available, with prizes including £100 NEXT voucher, a floristry workshop, a £50 Shires cookery school voucher, a Joules voucher and much more.
The second phase of the Orangery project will see the provision of support facilities, including toilets and a catering area, through the conversion of a stable yard building. The total cost of the project will be approximately £150,000 – the Kelmarsh Trust has already secured just under £76,000 to complete phase one of the project, the restoration of the building. However, just over £74,000 needs to be raised for the second phase which will complete the works.